CORE.01 Essentials of Camellia Sinensis
• Name the three factors that make it possible for the one tea plant to produce so many different kinds of tea.
• Describe the tea plant’s botanical origins and primary commercial varieties.
• Define variety, cultivar and landraces and the significance of these in tea cultivation.
• Name and describe the six stages of tea processing.
• Name the six types of tea.
• Identify the defining stage of processing for each type of tea.
• Set up and conduct a professional tea cupping session for the sensory evaluation of teas.
You Will Receive:
Six teas plus the Starter Cupping set: Two cupping sets, a thermometer, timer and gram scale.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
Please note: Due to strict regulations and enforcement policies by Mexican customs officials, we are unable to ship packages to addresses in Mexico.
Who Should Take This?
Everyone interested in tea should take this introductory course. This course is designed for tea professionals working at all levels of the industry who wish to further their knowledge of tea, their career goals or increase sales of tea. It is ideal for tea professionals and enthusiasts who wish to learn about the basics of tea education, starting with in-depth understanding of the tea plant and the stages of processing. Anyone taking this course will gain a basic understanding of the six types of tea, their manufacturing processes and basic cupping skills, including how to use the 3 piece professional cupping set.
World Tea Academy Certified Tea Specialist Candidates:
Successful completion of this class counts towards certification for WTA Certified Tea Specialist. CORE.01 is a prerequisite for CORE.02 through CORE.06 classes.
Prerequisites: This is the first class in our online certification program. There are no prerequisites to take this class. All the teas and materials you need for the class will be shipped to you. Schedule
This course is offered every month from January through November in 2017.
International If your class materials will be shipped to a non-US domestic address you will be charged $75 for shipping at check-out. Please note: Due to strict regulations and enforcement policies by Mexican customs officials, we are unable to ship packages to addresses in Mexico.
- Lectures 4
- Questions 20
- Duration 0.5 h (approx)
- Essentials of Camellia Sinensis
- Your Instructor
- Part One – The Three Factors
- Part Two – The First Factor: The specific variety or cultivar of the Camellia sinensis plant
- Part Three – Camellia sinensis’ Life as a Plant
- Part Four - The Cultivar in Our Cup
- CORE.01 Assignment 1.1
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment
- End of Week 1 Quiz
- Part One - The Ways the Leaves are Processed
- Part Two - The Six Types of Tea
- CORE.01 Assignment 2.1
- Week 2 Classroom Assignment
- End of Week 2 Quiz
- Introduction to Sensory Evaluation and Professional Tea Cupping
- CORE.01 Cupping Exercise
- Week 3 Classroom Assignment
- Final Exam
May 2018 class: Registration runs March 26 through April 30. Session is open May 7 through June 3.
June 2018 class: Registration runs May 1 through May 28. Session is open June 4 through July 1
July 2018 class: Registration runs May 29 through June 25. Session is open July 2 through July 29.
August 2018 class: Registration runs June 26 through July 30. Session is open August 6 through September 2.
September 2018 class: Registration runs July 31 through August 27. Session is open September 3 through September 30.
October 2018 class: Registration runs August 28 through September 24. Session is open October 1 through October 28.
November 2018 class: Registration runs September 25 through October 29. Session is open November 5 through December 2.
Piotr MigaMay 08, 2018
Wonderful...truly educational... so much information that I did not know. Thank you.
Raj ThaniJun 30, 2018