ADV.04 The Biochemistry of Tea Processing
In this advanced class we examine each of the stages of processing from the point of view of the tea leaf and the chemical transformations that are taking place. Our goal is to identify the volatile and non-volatile chemical compounds that we experience in every type of tea we drink understand how each step of the manufacturing process supports the development of those desirable compounds.
By taking this class you will be able to:
- Name the key chemical compounds involved in tea processing.
- Name and describe the key chemical reactions involved in tea processing.
- Identify how each stage supports the development of desirable compounds.
- Identify how each stage helps inhibit the development of undesirable compounds.
- Describe the nature and flavor contributions of the chemical compounds developed during tea processing.
- Name the different groups of polyphenols in tea and identify their role in tea’s flavor.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Lectures 4
- Questions 33
- Duration 0.5 h (approx)
August 2018 class: Registration runs June 26 through July 30. Session is open August 6 through September 2.