CORE.03 Tea Terroir Part 1 - China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan
With a strong foundation in the background of the tea plant and how teas are manufactured, we begin our journey to countries of origin and a detailed approach to terroir. And we rightfully start off with our focus on the birthplace of tea - China. Then we will travel to Korea, a smaller country of origin but home of quality green teas that are making a name for themselves around the world. This class will also explore two countries of origin highly influenced by China but truly unique unto their own – Japan and Taiwan. Again, we conclude with a focused cupping of these regions and continue to add to your experience and confidence in the organoleptic evaluation process.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Name the major tea-producing regions of China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan and their notable teas.
- Identify teas from each country and understand their manufacturing processes.
- Describe the classic characteristics of teas from each of the key tea-growing regions.
- Discern the difference between the teas of various terroirs of each country.
- Understand the history of tea in each of these countries and their tea industries today.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: 8 teas
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Lectures 4
- Questions 25
- Duration 0 h (approx)
- Tea Terroir Part 1 - China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan
- Your Instructor
- The History of Tea in China
- The Chinese Tea Industry Today
- The Terroir of Tea in China
- Teas by Province
- The History of Tea in Korea
- The Korean Tea Industry Today
- The Terroir of Tea in Korea
- CORE.03 Assignment 1.1
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment
- End of Week 1 Quiz
- The History of Tea in Japan
- The Japanese Tea Industry Today
- The Terroir of Tea in Japan
- The Teas of Japan
- The History of Tea in Taiwan
- The Tea Industry in Taiwan Today
- The Terroir of Tea in Taiwan
- CORE.03 Assignment 2.1
- Week 2 Classroom Assignment
- End of Week 2 Quiz
- Sensory Evaluation and Professional Tea Cupping
- CORE.03 Cupping Exercise
- Week 3 Classroom Assignment
- Final Exam
Prerequisites: CORE.01; CORE.02e
June 2018 class: Registration runs May 1 through May 28. Session is open June 4 through July 1
August 2018 class: Registration runs June 26 through July 30. Session is open August 6 through September 2.
October 2018 class: Registration runs August 28 through September 24. Session is open October 1 through October 28.