ADV.08 Tea Sommelier Essentials
One of the newest and most coveted careers in the tea industry today is that of Tea Sommelier. Having borrowed the word ‘sommelier’ from the wine industry gives us a general idea of how that role might translate in the world of tea. But as a tea career the role is so new it is still evolving and defining itself. This class takes part in the ‘What is a Tea Sommelier?’ discussion as we listen to key industry leaders talk about how they see the role evolve and find its place in our modern, global tea culture. The class goes on to introduce the skills and information needed by anyone who aspires to help both consumers and managers in making informed decisions about tea service or serve as a guide to the world of tea in the specialty tea, food and hospitality industries, academic institutions, or wherever they find themselves presenting and promoting tea and its culture.
By the end of this class you will be able to:
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of a Tea Sommelier.
- Apply the basic principles of food and beverage pairing.
- Create tea menus for any establishment or institution.
- Procure and manage a tea inventory.
- Identify the essential qualities and characteristics of a tea for presentation and education.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: One cupping set, 3 teas for a blind tasting and a book.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Lectures 4
- Questions 0
- Duration 0 h (approx)
- Tea Sommelier Essentials
- Your Instructor
- Part One: Defining A Tea Sommelier
- GS Haly Interview
- Dan Robertson Interview
- Amy Lawrence Interview
- Lisa Richardson Interview
- The First Tea Sommelier in the United States
- Norwood Pratt Interview
- Helen Gustafson Overview
- Part Two: The Expertise of A Tea Sommelier Overview
- Part Three: Buying and Selling: Tea Trade in Brief
- ADV.08 Assignment 1.1
- ADV.08 Assignment 1.2
- Part One: Tea Expertise = Tea Knowledge + Tea Experience
- Part Two: A Tea Sommelier's Most Valuable Skill
- Part Three: Inventory and Storage
- Part Four: Modern Tea
- ADV.08 Assignment 2.1
- ADV.08 Assignment 2.2 Blind Tasting
- ADV.08 Assignment 2.3
- Part One: Opening Doors to the World of Tea
- Part Two: Tea-Centric Events
- Part Three: Beyond the Tea Cup
- Lecture Materials
- ADV.08 Assignment 3.1
- ADV.08 Assignment 3.2
- ADV.08 Assignment 3.3
- ADV.08 For Discussion
July 2018 class: Registration runs May 29 through June 25. Session is open July 2 through July 29.
November 2018 class: Registration runs September 25 through October 29. Session is open November 5 through December 2.