ADV.01 Advanced Cupping
This class focuses on the tea professional’s most valuable skill – using the professional tea cupping protocol as a tool to evaluate teas. The course material takes an in-depth look at terroir, each stage of tea processing and finally the grades of teas, explaining how each factor creates and influences the taste and aroma of tea in the cup. The class materials also include a glossary of tea defects and describes when and how they develop during processing as well as how they would be recognized by taste and/or aroma in the cup. Featuring 16 teas, most of the class is dedicated to the cupping exercises that are designed to illustrate and illuminate how all of these influences appear in the cup.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define terroir and name the different aspects of terroir.
- Describe how each stage of processing influences tea’s flavor and aroma.
- Describe how defects can develop during processing and how they can affect the tea.
- Describe the relationship of tea grades to flavor profiles.
- Discern the difference between the terroir of tea from different countries.
- Identify the difference that various stages of processing make in the cup.
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
16 teas and one 3-piece professional cupping set.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Lectures 4
- Questions 0
- Duration 0 h (approx)
July 2018 class: Registration runs May 29 through June 25. Session is open July 2 through July 29.
October 2018 class: Registration runs August 28 through September 24. Session is open October 1 through October 28.