ADV.09 Advanced Botanicals
On their own as single ingredients or artfully blended with other herbs and with Camellia sinensis leaves, botanicals – or herbs – bring a rich variety of flavors and benefits to tea products and are an important ingredient in the world of tea. This class is a comprehensive exploration of the extensive world of botanicals, creating clarity and understanding with concise definitions and in-depth explanations at every level.
- Identify stages of processing in herbal products manufacture.
- Assess the major factors in herb quality and how to test them.
- Describe the basic strategy for creating herbal blends.
- Name the top 14 herbal ‘tea’ ingredients.
- Discuss the issues related to safety, regulation and labeling of herbs.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: 5 herbal teas
Student will need to provide: You will need a total of two cupping sets, scale, thermometer, and timer to do the assignments.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
Core.06 is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken Core.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis before taking this class.
Please note: Due to strict regulations and enforcement policies by Mexican customs officials, we are unable to ship packages to addresses in Mexico.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Author Rob McCaleb
- Advanced Botanicals
- Your Instructors
- Part One: Historical Perspectives
- Part Two: Definitions and Nomenclature
- Part Three: Herbal Products and Ingredients
- Part Four: Production Methodologies
- Part Five: The Global Supply Chain
- Part Six: Purchasing
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 1
- Week 1 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 1 Quiz
- Part One: Major Factors in Herb Quality
- Part Two: Quality Testing and Assessment
- Part Three: Standards and Regulations
- Part Four: The Art and Science of Blending with Herbs
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 2
- Week 2 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 2 Quiz
- Part One: Top 14 Herbal Tea Ingredients
- Part Two: Herbs - Safety, Regulatory Overview and Labeling
- Herbal Information and Business Resources
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.2
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 3 Quiz
CORE.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis
We offer this class in March, June and September in 2019.
See schedule for registration and start dates.
DoniMay 08, 2018
This was very interesting.
AndreaNov 24, 2017
Week 2 was a little heavy going - a lot of detailed information especially the section on Botanical Indentification - the types of testing and techniques to identify a plant or plant part in commerce - a lot to digest and remember. I would need another course or add on again, to reinforce and practice, more with this vital information, for it to make it into my working practice.
JudiMar 26, 2017
A very informative course.
GeorgiaOct 20, 2016
A good revision of some of the popular botanicals used in Camellia sinensis tea & caffeine-free herbal "tea" blends. I also enjoyed the taste profile comparisons of similar botanicals, (comparing lemon-scented/flavored infusions).
SofiaJul 03, 2016
TingJul 02, 2016
This course, like Core 06, is so informative and answered many small questions I had about botanicals in the tisane realm. Anyone going into the tea industry must also ensure they know something about tisanes since they are consumed by such a large number of people.
DavidJun 29, 2016
This class is extremely informative and helpful. It answered a lot of questions for me regarding herbal teas. I enjoyed this class.
Lisa BOct 30, 2015
Really good course - a more detailed look at blended examples used in assignment 3.3 would be beneficial for future improvements
AndrewOct 17, 2015