ADV.09 Advanced Botanicals
On their own as single ingredients or artfully blended with other herbs and with Camellia sinensis leaves, botanicals – or herbs – bring a rich variety of flavors and benefits to tea products and are an important ingredient in the world of tea. This class is a comprehensive exploration of the extensive world of botanicals, creating clarity and understanding with concise definitions and in-depth explanations at every level.
- Identify stages of processing in herbal products manufacture.
- Assess the major factors in herb quality and how to test them.
- Describe the basic strategy for creating herbal blends.
- Name the top 14 herbal ‘tea’ ingredients.
- Discuss the issues related to safety, regulation and labeling of herbs.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: 5 herbal teas
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
NOTE: Core.06 is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken Core.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis before taking this class.
- Advanced Botanicals
- Your Instructors
- Part One: Historical Perspectives
- Part Two: Definitions and Nomenclature
- Part Three: Herbal Products and Ingredients
- Part Four: Production Methodologies
- Part Five: The Global Supply Chain
- Part Six: Purchasing
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 1
- ADV.09 Week 1 Quiz
- Part One: Major Factors in Herb Quality
- Part Two: Quality Testing and Assessment
- Part Three: Standards and Regulations
- Part Four: The Art and Science of Blending with Herbs
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 2
- ADV.09 Week 2 Quiz
- Part One: Top 14 Herbal Tea Ingredients
- Part Two: Herbs - Safety, Regulatory Overview and Labeling
- Herbal Information and Business Resources
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.2
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.3
- ADV.09 Week 3 Quiz
CORE.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis
August 2018 class: Registration runs June 26 through July 30. Session is open August 6 through September 2.
DoniMay 08, 2018
A very informative course.
GeorgiaOct 20, 2016
This course, like Core 06, is so informative and answered many small questions I had about botanicals in the tisane realm. Anyone going into the tea industry must also ensure they know something about tisanes since they are consumed by such a large number of people.
DavidJun 29, 2016
This class is extremely informative and helpful. It answered a lot of questions for me regarding herbal teas. I enjoyed this class.
Lisa BOct 30, 2015