ADV.12 Formulating Delicious Blends
In this course, you will use your knowledge of your flavor system, coupled with an understanding of the chemistry of teas, herbs, spices, fruits, and flowers, to create delicious blends, and explore how blends can fit into lifestyles and life experiences.
Week 1: The art and science of flavors and blends:
- In week 1 we will ask:
- How do blends tell a story?
- How does our flavor system interact with blends to evoke feelings and create experiences?
- How does a blend enhance a base tea’s positive attributes and hide negative ones?
- Using the example of a classic flavored tea, Earl Grey, we will discuss how each element interacts with our flavor system, and why this flavored tea is so appreciated.
Week 2: Camellia sinensis blends:
- We will explore how sensations evoked by a tea blend could correspond to a season or event: why and how to blend for the seasons, using summer herbs and fruits for refreshing teas and winter spices and fruits for teas that are warming.
- Using the principles in Week 1, you will create, test, and critique blends using Camellia sinensis
- You will create a blend of your own using Camellia sinensis, then test and critique it, and provide a description of the blend using concepts and words that correspond to your aims in creating the blend.
Week 3: Rooibos and Rhodiola rosea blends:
- We will discuss how different tisane bases such as rooibos and Rhodiola rosea can be used to create blends.
- We will discuss new trends in blends, including new uses for both tisanes and Camellia sinensis teas
- Using the principles from Week 1, you will create and test blends using Rooibos and Rhodiola rosea.
- You will create a blend of your own with either a Camellia sinensis or a tisane base, then test, and critique it, and provide a description of the blend and how it can be used.
- Lectures 4
- Questions 0
- Duration 0 h (approx)
- What is Delicious?
- The Tea Experience And What it Means
- Individual Experiences in Tea
- How We Experience Flavor
- Earl Grey
- Assignment 1.1
- Teas and Flavor Systems
- ADV.12 Week 2 Assignments
- Fruit, Herbs and Spices that go with Green, Oolong and Black Teas
- Assignment 2.1
- Assignment 2.2
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Assignment 3.1
- Assignment 3.2
ADV.02 Understanding the organoleptic experience
Available in August 2018 and November 2018