ADV.04 The Biochemistry of Tea Processing
In this advanced class we examine each of the stages of processing from the point of view of the tea leaf and the chemical transformations that are taking place. Our goal is to identify the volatile and non-volatile chemical compounds that we experience in every type of tea we drink and understand how each step of the manufacturing process supports the development of those desirable compounds.
- Name the key chemical compounds involved in tea processing.
- Name and describe the key chemical reactions involved in tea processing.
- Identify how each stage supports the development of desirable compounds.
- Identify how each stage helps inhibit the development of undesirable compounds.
- Describe the nature and flavor contributions of the chemical compounds developed during tea processing.
- Name the different groups of polyphenols in tea and identify their role in tea’s flavor.
No Class Kit Purchase Required and no additional materials needed
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Course Author: Donna Fellman
- The Biochemistry of Tea Processing
- Part One: The Key Chemical Compounds in the Raw Leaf Material
- Part 2: Glossary of Tea Processing Biochemistry Terms
- Part Three: The Key Biochemical Reactions Involved in Tea Processing
- Part Four: A Polyphenol Primer
- ADV.04 Instructor Assignment 1.1
- Week Two: Analysis of the Biochemistry of Tea Processing by Stages
- Part Two: Other Processes: Sweltering and Fermentation
- ADV.04 Instructor Assignment 2.1
- Part One: Key Learning Points From Week 1
- Part Two: Key Learning Points From Week 2
- Final Exam
See Class Schedule Page for registration and start dates.
LarsOct 04, 2021
SueJun 30, 2021
FannyFeb 25, 2021
DianeFeb 13, 2021
I appreciate the course material, as it gives a much better understanding of how the whole process of tea works. I have had chemistry, so many of the terms are familiar, but I certainly appreciate that it is a review, and we are not expected to have full knowledge of the terms. :)
SHARONApr 22, 2020