ADV.09 Advanced Botanicals
On their own as single ingredients or artfully blended with other herbs and with Camellia sinensis leaves, botanicals – or herbs – bring a rich variety of flavors and benefits to tea products and are an important ingredient in the world of tea. This class is a comprehensive exploration of the extensive world of botanicals, creating clarity and understanding with concise definitions and in-depth explanations at every level. The course author is Rob McCaleb. Click here to read his bio.
- Identify stages of processing in herbal products manufacture.
- Assess the major factors in herb quality and how to test them.
- Describe the basic strategy for creating herbal blends.
- Name the top 14 herbal ‘tea’ ingredients.
- Discuss the issues related to safety, regulation and labeling of herbs.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: 5 herbal teas.Please note: All supplies for all classes are shipped out once a month after registration has closed. Your materials will arrive about 7 to 10 days after your class starts. They are not needed for assignments in the first week of class
Student will need to provide: You will need a total of two cupping sets, scale, thermometer, and timer to do the assignments.
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
Core.06 is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken Core.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis before taking this class.
Please note: Due to strict regulations and enforcement policies by Mexican customs officials, we are unable to ship packages to addresses in Mexico.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Author Rob McCaleb
- Advanced Botanicals
- Your Instructors
- Part One: Historical Perspectives
- Part Two: Definitions and Nomenclature
- Part Three: Herbal Products and Ingredients
- Part Four: Production Methodologies
- Part Five: The Global Supply Chain
- Part Six: Purchasing
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 1
- Week 1 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 1 Quiz
- Part One: Major Factors in Herb Quality
- Part Two: Quality Testing and Assessment
- Part Three: Standards and Regulations
- Part Four: The Art and Science of Blending with Herbs
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 2
- Week 2 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 2 Quiz
- Part One: Top 14 Herbal Tea Ingredients
- Part Two: Herbs - Safety, Regulatory Overview and Labeling
- Herbal Information and Business Resources
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.2
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 3 Quiz
CORE.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis
We offer this class in March, June and September in 2019.
See schedule for registration and start dates.
I will be able to use some of this information in my tea blending for the company I work for as well as my personal use.
BrendaJun 30, 2019
This class provides a comprehensive overview of the herbal infusion universe. Focused more on product and inventory management than actual ingredients - but there is some assessment of popular herbal ingredients - this class is crucial for anyone owning or managing a tea business.
TerriMar 22, 2019
DoniMay 08, 2018
This was very interesting.
AndreaNov 24, 2017
Week 2 was a little heavy going - a lot of detailed information especially the section on Botanical Indentification - the types of testing and techniques to identify a plant or plant part in commerce - a lot to digest and remember. I would need another course or add on again, to reinforce and practice, more with this vital information, for it to make it into my working practice.
JudiMar 26, 2017
A very informative course.
GeorgiaOct 20, 2016
A good revision of some of the popular botanicals used in Camellia sinensis tea & caffeine-free herbal "tea" blends. I also enjoyed the taste profile comparisons of similar botanicals, (comparing lemon-scented/flavored infusions).
SofiaJul 03, 2016
TingJul 02, 2016
This course, like Core 06, is so informative and answered many small questions I had about botanicals in the tisane realm. Anyone going into the tea industry must also ensure they know something about tisanes since they are consumed by such a large number of people.
DavidJun 29, 2016
This class is extremely informative and helpful. It answered a lot of questions for me regarding herbal teas. I enjoyed this class.
Lisa BOct 30, 2015
Really good course - a more detailed look at blended examples used in assignment 3.3 would be beneficial for future improvements
AndrewOct 17, 2015