ADV.06 The Tea Lifestyle
Long before Martha and Oprah forged links between the role of celebrity and lifestyle expert, the Greek philosophers Socrates and Plato pondered how humans should best live their lives. Following them, Aristotle proposed that the greatest aim of life was living well and flourishing.
Today, as the medical, social and behavioral sciences are defining and measuring human flourishing, they are finding the lifestyles of modern societies and much of what is promoted in our media and by our experts, not only lacking but misguided in their value systems and norms.
To flourish and nurture our own well-being then, we must choose carefully for ourselves the values that shape and the activities that fill the lives we lead. The idea of crafting a modern tea lifestyle is predicated on the human experience shared around the world that tea is more than just a beverage. This class explores the lessons that tea offers and how the way of tea can infuse our lives with wisdom, qualities and practices that support our well-being and nurture our innate human desire to flourish.
(The medical-based health benefits of tea topics are covered in ADV.10 Tea and Health.)
No Class Kit Purchase Required and no additional materials needed
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Authors: Lhasha Tizer and Donna Fellman
- The Tea Lifestyle
- Part One: Defining Lifestyle
- Part Two: Our Modern Lifestyle
- Part Three: Crafting a Tea Lifestyle as an Antidote to the Modern Lifestyle
- ADV.06 Instructor Assignment 1.1
- ADV.06 Instructor Assignment 1.2
- ADV.06 Classroom Assignment
- Recommended Readings
- Part One: Slowing Down
- Part Two: The Taste of Tea and Meditation Are One
- Part Three: What is Meditation?
- Part Four: Mindfulness Meditation
- Part Five: Coming To Our Senses
- Exercise 1
- Exercise 2
- Exercise 3
- Exercise 4
- Exercise 5
- ADV.06 Instructor Assignment 2.1
- Part One: Ritual and Ceremony - Bringing the Sacred into Everyday Life
- Part Two: Connectedness and the Spirit of Hospitality
- Part Three: Reprise
- ADV.06 Instructor Assignment 3.1
- ADV.06 Instructor Assignment 3.2
- ADV.06 Classroom Assignment
- Course Conclusion and Reminders
See Class Schedule Page for registration and start dates.
KimberlyMar 20, 2023
KaitlynMay 24, 2021
Very enjoyable course
BrendaJan 31, 2021
AnuhyaJan 27, 2021
I loved the content! It really spoke to me. I wasn't expecting it to be so personal.
TrishJan 22, 2021
ArunaAug 02, 2020
I didn’t grow up in a tea culture nor have I participated in meditations before. This class has helped me be more mindful of all the ways tea can be helpful to each individual.
MalikaJul 24, 2020
MariaJul 21, 2020
You can not imagine how well this module did me well and how it helped me set my course in the world of teas. Well-being and even the pursuit of healing for our daily issues. Thank you
eugeniaFeb 22, 2019
Something as simple as quietly enjoying a cup of tea is anything but simple when you're always multitasking. This class is a fantastic lesson in basic self-care and hospitality. The assignments are harder than they seem if you're always on the go - but are probably the most important lessons to learn in the whole curriculum!
TerriFeb 19, 2019
Yet another grand learning experience!
DoniJun 30, 2018