ADV.13 Art of Flavoring, Blending, Scenting Tea Part 1
The world of possibilities in blending teas is immense, but no matter how inspired and informed the new blend you created and fell in love with last week was, commercial success is not guaranteed. Success depends on understanding how the art and the science of tea blending work together. This class starts with exploring how we find the inspiration for the ideation of a tea blend. Then step by step we look at the research, planning and leg-work required to carry the project to its successful completion. This includes how once the flavor, aroma, mouthfeel and visual profiles are perfected, science, technology and effective operational management systems are necessary to ensure that each blend performs consistently. We look at how organoleptic evaluations identify all the key desirable characteristics that define the product are used to evaluate all future iterations during development and processing. And what analytical measurements are taken to establish and maintain specifications throughout all production steps to ensure consistency, machinability, regulatory compliance and profitability. This class will have universal appeal to almost everyone in the tea trade who engages in the creation of enhanced teas - from tea shop owners and branded companies to wholesalers, importers and even tea growers. ADV.13: The Art of Flavoring, Blending and Scenting Part 1 is the first in a two-class series. The course author is Brian Keating. Click here to read his bio.
By taking this class you will know:
• The essential steps for successful tea blending.
• What to consider in the formulation and production of loose leaf, single serve and RTD teas.
• How to ensure that the key profile characteristcs of your blend remain consistent from ideation to final product.
• How to evaluate whether to do your own blending in house or work in partnership with a flavoring company.
• How to set up your own tea blender's workspace, what equipment is needed, etc.
You will need to use your own cupping set, thermometer, scale and timer as well as two teas for the class.
NOTE: ADV.11 is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken ADV.11 Blending, Flavoring, Scenting before taking this class.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Author Brian Keating
- Overview of Course
- Part One: Overview
- Part Two: The Art of Blending
- Part Three: Essential Steps for Success in Tea Blending
- Assignment 1.1
- Assignment 1.2
- Assignment 1.3
- Discussion Week 1
- Overview: Form and Function
- Part One: Loose Leaf Teas
- Part Two: Single Serve Tea Blends
- Part Three: Ready-to-Drink (RTD) Tea Blends
- Part Four: Case Studies
- Part Five: Trending Blends Example: CBD
- Assignment 2.1
- Assignment 2.2
- Discussion Week 2
- Part One: Overview of Logistical Considerations
- Part Two: Working In House
- Part Three: Working In Partnership
- Part Four: Workspace, Tools and Equipment
- Part Five: Looking Ahead
- Assignment 3.1
- Discussion Week 3
ADV.11 Blending, Flavoring, Scenting
This class is offered in February, June and October in 2020.
See schedule for registration and start dates.
TerriMay 26, 2019
Very informative and interesting lecture notes.
JudiSep 26, 2018