ADV.15 Aromas of Tea Part 1: The Basics
In this course we will delve deeply into how the leaf creates aromas in the field and during processing and how we experience these aromas. The aromas featured in this class occur in (almost) all teas, but in different proportions, producing very different effects. The aroma samples you will receive are specifically chosen to give you an experiential understanding of these effects, especially with respect to green and oolong teas. Included are samples of simple chemicals and mixtures of chemicals that together give an aroma found in tea.
For this course, we invite you to choose for the study of green and oolong teas with which you are already well acquainted. By comparing and contrasting the aromas in these teas, you will gain a deeper and more subtle understanding of your experience of them and will be able to communicate this understanding to your clients and friends.
By taking this class you will know:
1. The biology of how we experience aromas;
2. The basic aromas of teas and how they come about in the leaf and as you brew your tea;
3. The commonalities and contrasts in the aromas of green and oolong teas and how to communicate your experience to others.
4. How to differentiate higher from lower grade green and oolong teas based on their aromas.
You will need to order your class kit no later than close of registration:
• Required class kits are not included in your purchase for your course
• Class kits need to be ordered from Elmwood Inn Fine Teas
• Go to Elmwood Inn’s World Tea Academy page to purchase kit* (You need to order your kit no later than one week before your class starts to ensure that you receive it in time.)
Students will need to supply the following additional materials BEFORE the class starts.
• brewing vessel, preferably a yixing pot or a gaiwan
• a gong-fu style sipping and aroma cup or two small cups
• One lemon
Please Note: ADV.02 is a Prerequisite for this class.
*Disclaimer: Elmwood Inn Fine Teas is not part of World Tea Academy/Questex LLC nor is it affiliated World Tea Academy/Questex LLC. World Tea Academy/Questex LLC has partnered with Elmwood Inn Fine Teas only to provide the class kits for our courses.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Overview of Class
- Course Authors Virginia Utermohlen Lovelace and Scott Svihula
- Steps in Learning to Recognize Odors
- Sources of Aroma Compounds in Tea
- The Steps in Producing Green Teas
- The Steps in Producing Oolongs
- Gong-fu Method
- Assignment 1.1
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 1
- Assignment 1.2
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 2
- Caution when Using Scent Vials
- Scent Vials Provided
- Assignment 2.1
- Assignment 2.2
- Assignment 2.3
- Assignment 2.4
- Week 2 Classroom Assignment
- Applying your Odor Recognition Abilities to Green and Oolong Scents and Looking Ahead
- Assignment 3.1
- Assignment 3.2
- Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Classroom Assignment 1
ADV.02 is a pre-requisite for this class.
This class is offered in January, May and September 2021.
See the Class Schedule for registration and class dates.
KaitlynJul 29, 2020
Excellent course. It was so helpful to learn how to remember new aromas, being exposed to the new scents, and then having guided practice to identify those scents in the teas.
CynthiaMar 18, 2020
I'm not sure this class could be improved. The assignments really give my sniffer a workout! I have enjoyed each one.
LoriMar 15, 2020