ADV.16 Aromas of Tea Part 2: Oxidation, Firing, Fermentation
The aromas chosen for ADV.16 appear and become prominent during extensive oxidation and during firing and fermentation. Included for study are samples of simple chemicals and mixtures of chemicals that together give aromas found in white, black, puer, and yellow teas in particular. We invite you to choose teas with which you are already well acquainted, so you can expand and deepen your understanding of the aromas of these teas and further develop your skill in communicating about these aromas with your clients and friends. Each exercise will emphasize a different step in processing, so that by knowing how a given tea is processed, and by having the experiential knowledge of these aromas, you will be able to predict that tea’s aromas and flavors.
By taking this class you will know:
- How oxidation, firing, and fermentation affect the aromas of teas;
- Which of these aromas appear in and characterize white, black, puer, and yellow teas.
- How to recognize and describe these aromas;
- How to differentiate higher from lower quality teas based on their aromas.
You will need to order your class kit no later than close of registration:
• Required class kits are not included in your purchase for your course
• Class kits need to be ordered from Elmwood Inn Fine Teas
• Go to Elmwood Inn’s World Tea Academy page to purchase kit* (You need to order your kit no later than one week before your class starts to ensure that you receive it in time.)
Please Note: International students that plan on taking more than one course with World Tea Academy will save money on the shipping costs of their class kits if they order multiple kits at a time.
Students will need to supply the following additional materials BEFORE the class starts.
• brewing vessel, preferably a yixing pot or a gaiwan
• a gong-fu style sipping and aroma cup or two small cups
• Pure vanilla extract
.Please Note: ADV.15 is a pre-requisite for this class.
*Disclaimer: Elmwood Inn Fine Teas is not part of World Tea Academy/Questex LLC nor is it affiliated World Tea Academy/Questex LLC. World Tea Academy/Questex LLC has partnered with Elmwood Inn Fine Teas only to provide the class kits for our courses.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Overview of Class
- Course Authors: Virginia Utermohlen Lovelace and Scott Svihula
- Steps in Learning to Recognize Odors Review
- Sources of Aroma Compounds in the Tea Leaf Review
- How the Aromas of White, Black, Puer, and Yellow Teas Come Together
- Gong-fu Method Review
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 1.1
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 1
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 1.2
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 1.3
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 2
- Caution When Using Scent Vials
- How to Use the Scent Vial by Itself and with Steeped Tea
- Aroma Vial FAQ
- Scent Vials Provided
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 2.1
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 2.2
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 2.3
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 2.4
- Week 2 Classroom Assignment
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 3.1
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 3.2
- ADV.16 Instructor Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Classroom Assignment 1
- Course Conclusion and Reminders
ADV.15 is a Prerequisite for this class.
See Class Schedule Page for registration and start dates.
KimberlyApr 23, 2023
Excellent! The details of where the aromas come from is vey interesting. The aromas themselves push me to be more specific. I will be appreciating my tea drinking even more as a result of taking this class. I have some names to put with what I'm smelling and I know where it comes from.
LoriApr 19, 2020