ADV.16 Aromas of Tea Part 2: Oxidation, Firing, Fermentation
The aromas chosen for ADV.16 appear and become prominent during extensive oxidation and during firing and fermentation. Included for study are samples of simple chemicals and mixtures of chemicals that together give aromas found in white, black, puer, and yellow teas in particular. We invite you to choose teas with which you are already well acquainted, so you can expand and deepen your understanding of the aromas of these teas and further develop your skill in communicating about these aromas with your clients and friends. Each exercise will emphasize a different step in processing, so that by knowing how a given tea is processed, and by having the experiential knowledge of these aromas, you will be able to predict that tea’s aromas and flavors.
By taking this class you will know:
- How oxidation, firing, and fermentation affect the aromas of teas;
- Which of these aromas appear in and characterize white, black, puer, and yellow teas.
- How to recognize and describe these aromas;
- How to differentiate higher from lower quality teas based on their aromas.
YOU WILL RECEIVE: A kit of 9 tea aroma chemicals, complementing the aromas supplied for ADV 16. Please note: All supplies for all classes are shipped out once a month after registration has closed. Your materials will arrive about 7 to 10 days after your class starts. They are not needed for assignments in the first week of class.
Student will need to provide: 1 ounce or 20 grams of each tea to be studied: Bai Mu Dan (White Peony), Darjeeling (preferably first flush or second flush), Keemun, Puer, and (optional) Yellow tea; brewing vessel, preferably a yixing pot or a gaiwan, a gong-fu style sipping and aroma cup or two small cups, and pure vanilla extract. You will need these supplies for the first week of class.
Please note: Due to strict regulations and enforcement policies by Mexican customs officials, we are unable to ship packages to addresses in Mexico.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Authors: Virginia Utermohlen Lovelace and Scott Svihula
- Overview of Class
- Steps in Learning to Recognize Odors Review
- Sources of Aroma Compounds in the Tea Leaf Review
- How the Aromas of White, Black, Puer, and Yellow Teas Come Together
- Gong-fu Method Review
- Assignment 1.1
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 1
- Assignment 1.2
- Assignment 1.3
- Week 1 Classroom Assignment 2
- Caution When Using Scent Vials
- How to Use the Scent Vial by Itself and with Steeped Tea
- Aroma Vial FAQ
- Scent Vials Provided
- Assignment 2.1
- Assignment 2.2
- Assignment 2.3
- Assignment 2.4
- Week 2 Classroom Assignment
- Applying Your Scent Recognition Abilities to White, Darjeeling, Black, Puer, and Yellow Tea and Special Offer
- Assignment 3.1
- Assignment 3.2
- Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Classroom Assignment 1
ADV.15 is a Prerequisite for this class.
We offer this class in April and August in 2020.
See our class schedule registration and class dates.