ADV.12 Formulating Delicious Blends
PLEASE NOTE: ADV.02 Understanding the Organoleptic Experience is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken ADV.02 before you can register for this class.
In this course, you will use your knowledge of your flavor system, coupled with an understanding of the chemistry of teas, herbs, spices, fruits, and flowers, to create delicious blends, and explore how blends can fit into lifestyles and life experiences. The course author is Virginia Utermohlen Lovelace MD. Click here to read her bio.
Week 1: The art and science of flavors and blends:
- In week 1 we will ask:
- How do blends tell a story?
- How does our flavor system interact with blends to evoke feelings and create experiences?
- How does a blend enhance a base tea’s positive attributes and hide negative ones?
- Using the example of a classic flavored tea, Earl Grey, we will discuss how each element interacts with our flavor system, and why this flavored tea is so appreciated.
Week 2: Camellia sinensis blends:
- We will explore how sensations evoked by a tea blend could correspond to a season or event: why and how to blend for the seasons, using summer herbs and fruits for refreshing teas and winter spices and fruits for teas that are warming.
- Using the principles in Week 1, you will create, test, and critique blends using Camellia sinensis
- You will create a blend of your own using Camellia sinensis, then test and critique it, and provide a description of the blend using concepts and words that correspond to your aims in creating the blend.
Week 3: Rooibos and Rhodiola rosea blends:
- We will discuss how different tisane bases such as rooibos and Rhodiola rosea can be used to create blends.
- We will discuss new trends in blends, including new uses for both tisanes and Camellia sinensis teas
- Using the principles from Week 1, you will create and test blends using Rooibos and Rhodiola rosea.
- You will create a blend of your own with either a Camellia sinensis or a tisane base, then test, and critique it, and provide a description of the blend and how it can be used.
You will need to order your class kit no later than close of registration:
• Required class kits are not included in your purchase for your course
• Class kits need to be ordered from Elmwood Inn Fine Teas
• Go to Elmwood Inn’s World Tea Academy page to purchase kit* (You need to order your kit no later than one week before your class starts to ensure that you receive it in time.)
Please Note: International students that plan on taking more than one course with World Tea Academy will save money on the shipping costs of their class kits if they order multiple kits at a time.
Students will need to supply the following additional materials BEFORE the class starts.
• One 400ml teapot or comparable heat and cold proof vessels that hold 14 to 16 ounces such as 1-pint canning jars or tea press (Can find the perfect size tea press at Elmwood Inn Fine Teas)
• One infuser basket
• A digital gram scale
• An instant read thermometer
• 3-5 cups that should hold at least 50 ml or 1.7 fluid ounces.
Class Length: 3 weeks
Please Note: ADV.02 is a Prerequisite for this class.
*Disclaimer: Elmwood Inn Fine Teas is not part of World Tea Academy/Questex LLC nor is it affiliated World Tea Academy/Questex LLC. World Tea Academy/Questex LLC has partnered with Elmwood Inn Fine Teas only to provide the class kits for our courses.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Author Virginia Utermohlen Lovelace MD
- Week 1 Overview
- What is Delicious?
- The Tea Experience and What it Means
- Individual Experiences in Tea
- How We Experience Flavor
- Earl Grey
- Assignment 1.1
- For Discussions
- Week 2 Overview
- Teas and Flavor Systems
- Fruit, Herbs and Spices that go with Green, Oolong and Black Teas
- Assignment 2.1
- Assignment 2.2
- Assignment 2.3
- For Discussions
- Rhodiola Rosea
- Assignment 3.1
- Assignment 3.2
- Assignment 3.3
- For Discussions
- Course Conclusion and Reminders
ADV.02 Understanding the organoleptic experience
See Class Schedule Page for registration and start dates.
LylaNov 24, 2021
NicoleAug 01, 2021
LarsJul 13, 2021
I really like this course. It would have been great to have some quizzes in here as I quite like those for instant feedback on how well you are absorbing information.
AlanMar 24, 2021
This was a really informative course and felt that this would be very helpful when deciding between ingredients for blend formulation. Just want to point out though, that the amount of cocoa nibs provided as tea materials for this class wasn't enough for this course. There was only 12g provided but we needed minimum 14g (not including the amount needed for creating our own bend). Other than that, everything was well explained! Thank you!
NatalieOct 29, 2020
very interesting class I learned alot
BrendaMay 31, 2020
I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I learnt new things about flavour combinations and the science behind them. Initially I felt the content was a little scant but then, of course, I realised the biggest part of learning is having a go yourself with the learning tools you have been given. Thank you - a great course. I would certainly recommend it.
DorothyFeb 01, 2020
This course challenged me. I have finished the course but I'm now enticed to study the subject even more - probably for the rest of my life! A great start to the art of blending.
LoriAug 19, 2019
Helps not only in formulating blends, but in pairing tea with foods. I think it would have beneficial for me if I had first taken ADV.11--Blending, Flavoring, Scenting.
CynthiaAug 27, 2018