ADV.09 Advanced Botanicals
On their own as single ingredients or artfully blended with other herbs and with Camellia sinensis leaves, botanicals – or herbs – bring a rich variety of flavors and benefits to tea products and are an important ingredient in the world of tea. This class is a comprehensive exploration of the extensive world of botanicals, creating clarity and understanding with concise definitions and in-depth explanations at every level. The course author is Rob McCaleb. Click here to read his bio.
- Identify stages of processing in herbal products manufacture.
- Assess the major factors in herb quality and how to test them.
- Describe the basic strategy for creating herbal blends.
- Name the top 14 herbal ‘tea’ ingredients.
- Discuss the issues related to safety, regulation and labeling of herbs.
You will need to order your class kit no later than close of registration:
• Required class kits are not included in your purchase for your course
• Class kits need to be ordered from Elmwood Inn Fine Teas
• Go to Elmwood Inn’s World Tea Academy page to purchase kit* (You need to order your kit no later than one week before your class starts to ensure that you receive it in time.)
Please Note: International students that plan on taking more than one course with World Tea Academy will save money on the shipping costs of their class kits if they order multiple kits at a time.
Students will need to supply the following additional materials BEFORE the class starts. These are not included in the class kit:
• Two professional cupping sets
• An instant read thermometer
• A digital gram scale
• A timer
3 weeks (plus one week grace period to submit assignments and complete any tests.)
Core.06 is a pre-requisite for this class. You must have taken Core.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis before taking this class.
*Disclaimer: Elmwood Inn Fine Teas is not part of World Tea Academy/Questex LLC nor is it affiliated World Tea Academy/Questex LLC. World Tea Academy/Questex LLC has partnered with Elmwood Inn Fine Teas only to provide the class kits for our courses.
- Welcome to Your Class
- Course Author Rob McCaleb
- Advanced Botanicals
- Part One: Historical Perspectives
- Part Two: Definitions and Nomenclature
- Part Three: Herbal Products and Ingredients
- Part Four: Production Methodologies
- Part Five: The Global Supply Chain
- Part Six: Purchasing
- ADV.09 Assignment 1.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 1.2
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 1
- Week 1 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 1 Quiz
- Part One: Major Factors in Herb Quality
- Part Two: Quality Testing and Assessment
- Part Three: Standards and Regulations
- Part Four: The Art and Science of Blending with Herbs
- ADV.09 Assignment 2.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 2.2
- ADV.09 For Discussion Week 2
- Week 2 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 2 Quiz
- Part One: Top 14 Herbal Tea Ingredients
- Part Two: Herbs - Safety, Regulatory Overview and Labeling
- Herbal Information and Business Resources
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.1
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.2
- ADV.09 Assignment 3.3
- Week 3 Quiz Instructions
- ADV.09 Week 3 Quiz
CORE.06 Beyond Camellia Sinensis
We offer this class in March, July and Novmeber 2021.
We offer this class in April and August 2022.
See Class Schedule Page for registration and start dates.
I will be able to use some of this information in my tea blending for the company I work for as well as my personal use.
BrendaJun 30, 2019
This class provides a comprehensive overview of the herbal infusion universe. Focused more on product and inventory management than actual ingredients - but there is some assessment of popular herbal ingredients - this class is crucial for anyone owning or managing a tea business.
TerriMar 22, 2019
DoniMay 08, 2018
This was very interesting.
AndreaNov 24, 2017
Week 2 was a little heavy going - a lot of detailed information especially the section on Botanical Indentification - the types of testing and techniques to identify a plant or plant part in commerce - a lot to digest and remember. I would need another course or add on again, to reinforce and practice, more with this vital information, for it to make it into my working practice.
JudiMar 26, 2017
A very informative course.
GeorgiaOct 20, 2016
A good revision of some of the popular botanicals used in Camellia sinensis tea & caffeine-free herbal "tea" blends. I also enjoyed the taste profile comparisons of similar botanicals, (comparing lemon-scented/flavored infusions).
SofiaJul 03, 2016
TingJul 02, 2016
This course, like Core 06, is so informative and answered many small questions I had about botanicals in the tisane realm. Anyone going into the tea industry must also ensure they know something about tisanes since they are consumed by such a large number of people.
DavidJun 29, 2016
This class is extremely informative and helpful. It answered a lot of questions for me regarding herbal teas. I enjoyed this class.
Lisa BOct 30, 2015
Really good course - a more detailed look at blended examples used in assignment 3.3 would be beneficial for future improvements
AndrewOct 17, 2015